Downton Abbey film is another finest initiative by Julian Fellowes who happened to gift us the TV series as well, titled the same which was a huge success. A few days ago, the sequel to this flick was released titled, Downton Abbey: New Era.
Now, it does have the same original cast, along with some notable additions to the team. The movie runs for 125 minutes, which is packed with the OG elegant events, however, we do have something extra that is the honorable presence of the King and the Queen in this film. But is this enough to consider actually watching the movie?
YOU SHOULD BE READING Downton Abbey: Should You Land Upon The Elegant 20th Century World Of Conventions?
Downton Abbey (2019 Film): The Cast
- Hugh Bonneville as Robert Crawley, 7th Earl of Grantham
- Laura Carmichael as Edith Pelham, Marchioness of Hexham
- Jim Carter playing Charles Carson
- Raquel Cassidy playing Phyllis Baxter
- Brendan Coyle playing John Bates
- Michelle Dockery playing Lady Mary Talbot
- Kevin Doyle playing Joseph Molesley
- Michael C. Fox playing Andy Parker
- Joanne Froggatt playing Anna Bates
- Matthew Goode playing Henry Talbot
- Harry Hadden-Paton playing Bertie Pelham, 7th Marquess of Hexham
- Robert James-Collier playing Thomas Barrow
- Allen Leech playing Tom Branson
- Phyllis Logan playing Elsie Hughes
- Elizabeth McGovern playing Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham
- Sophie McShera playing Daisy Mason
- Lesley Nicol playing Beryl Patmore
- Maggie Smith playing Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham
- Imelda Staunton playing Maud, Lady Bagshaw
- Penelope Wilton playing Isobel Grey, Lady Merton
- Mark Addy playing Mr. Bakewell
- Max Brown playing Richard Ellis
- James Cartwright playing Tony Selleck, the boiler repairman
- Charlie Watson playing Albert the Hall Boy
- Stephen Campbell Moore playing Major Chetwode
- Richenda Carey playing Mrs. Webb
- David Haig playing Mr. Wilson
- Andrew Havill playing Henry, Viscount Lascelles
- Geraldine James playing Queen Mary
- Simon Jones playing King George V
- Susan Lynch playing Miss Lawton
- Tuppence Middleton playing Lucy Smith
- Kate Phillips playing Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles
- Perry Fitzpatrick playing Chris Webster
- Douglas Reith playing Richard Grey, Lord Merton
- Philippe Spall playing Monsieur Courbet
- Oliver and Zac Barker playing Master George
- Fifi Hart playing Miss Sybbie
- Eva and Karina Samms playing Miss Marigold
Things You Might Like About Downton Abbey (2019 Film)
Well, the story of the film centers around the arrival of the King and the Queen in Downton Abbey. The Crawley receives the opportunity to serve the royals before they extend their itinerary of their actual travel to Yorkshire. Although very minimal, still the story holds an interesting narrative that will amuse the real Downton Abbey fans.
Their ball, luncheons, and dinner events along with relatable family affairs such as blooming romance, property issues, hosting guests, house chores trouble, royal events, marriage squabbles, and more are there in the plot point. Overall it is a very cozy hospitable story that will be appreciated by literature folks and by the people who appreciate narratives as such.
Jullian Fellowes once again paid intricate attention towards building strong characters who love to take their stand and their life under their own control. The newest members of the narrative are Lady Bagshaw and her daughter Lucy Smith(disguised as a maid). Both of them depict positivity and of course women’s empowerment.
Similarly, we also watch Countess of Harewood suffer her uninviting marriage. But instead of quitting, she chooses to change and asks her husband to change as well. Let’s see what happens if we are given the chance to peek into their lives once again.
Nonetheless, the OG Downton Abbey characters were familiar with their special charm. They were as usual very alluring. However what appeared very unusual was the cordial bond shared between the Crawley sisters, which in fact was nice, isn’t it?
On a comprehensive note, each of the characters of Downton Abbey (2019 Film) was pretty nice and definitely inspiring, isn’t it?
The symphonies of this Downton Abbey film were enticing. Well, we already know, how magical the notes are, right? When you hear the mesmerizing tunes for the first time, it touches your soul and mind, cutting a melodious impression that might give you goosebumps as well. John Lunn is the man behind those breathtaking soulful musics, which once again gave you some wonderful soothing background scores.
Ben Smithard stands to be the man behind the creative lens work. It was innovative, very precise, and amazingly stunning. What did you think about those spectacular picturesque shots of the estate? Not only those were cleanly presented but those were some genuinely neat shots, which give the audience a sense of grace and elegance to enjoy in the narrative.
The script of the movie was once again too witty, smart, very much up to the point, intense, and without a doubt, very balanced. Once again we get to hear Granny, speak her heart out with some solid and chucklesome one-liners, that will make you both laugh and wonder.
Other than her, the script written for the rest of the cast was cavernous, very reasonable, and just perfect for the establishment of the individual roles, they were supposed to be. In general, the script was very proficient.
Michael Engler directed the project in his theatrical pattern which made the drama profound. Particularly, it was the direction of this man that significantly steered the advancement of the narrative in a very sincere way.
Honestly speaking there is nothing to speak about the actors since they are some talented artists who know what the task they are given. They are graciously skilled, which helps them to sink deep into the characters they are playing, thus they appear very accurate, which kind of gives off the idea that they are actually the characters in real.
Things You Might Not Like About Downton Abbey(2019 Film)
The story of the movie might appear very simple. It might seem that it had no reason to actually come out but to advance the series in a shorter span of time. Also, Tom Branson’s involvement with Lucy Smith kind of felt superficial. Again it was something created to progress the story of the narrative.
TOTT’s Take On Downton Abbey(2019 Film)
Well, of course, it is a very generous consideration to watch this weekend, if you are someone who is deep into period drama as such.
TOTT gives the movie, 4/5 Stars.
So what do you think about our verdict? Do you agree with us? Don’t forget to share your thoughts and opinions in the comment section below.
YOU SHOULD BE READING Little Women1994 Review: Does This Period Drama Worth Your Time*SPOILERS*?
But this is all for today, hope to meet you all very soon in our next, publication, BYE-BYE…